ALCOVA | 2009
Galeria Laura Marsiaj, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Curator: Marcelo Campos
1. Uruçumirim, later Outeiro da Glória | 2009
In a passage from [the Brazilian novel] Dom Casmurro, the title character expresses his jealousy of [the female protagonist] Capitu even as she enjoys, from a window, the view of the Glória knoll and Guanabara bay. From this story I created this drawing, in which the knoll, free from today’s constructions, was imagined covered with trees, as it might have once been when it was called by the natives as Uruçumirim.
- juxtaposed sheets of 45 g tracing paper, white China ink
- 66 x 99 cm
- COLLECTIONS: Museu de Arte do Rio de Janeiro (MAR), Brazil
Photos: Cláudia Tavares (detail) and Wilton Montenegro (general view)
2. I am father and friend (object) | 2004
Breaking a pledge to secrecy, I typed five copies of originally typewritten letters that my grandfather had sent my father in the late 1940s, and gave them to my sisters. In this exhibition, I gathered the letters in three small wall objects, corresponding to the years 1945, 1946 and 1947. The work’s title evokes the way my grandfather signed off his letters: “I am father and friend”.
- typewriting on carbon copy paper, needles, sound
- 36 x 27 x 8 cm (each object)
- OTHER EXHIBITIONS: “Trajetórias 4,” Fundação Joaquim Nabuco, Recife, Brazil
Photograph: Pat Kilgore