GALERIE CAROLINE VACHET | 2009
Curator: Yves Sabourin
1. Waiting for birds | 2009
While searching for accounts on the making of feather objects, I came across a scene described by anthropologist Darcy Ribeiro in his Diários índios: he is alone, in the middle of a village, while all the others have gone off into the forest in search of feathers and birds. Based on that image, I created visions of the forest that surrounded him.
- series of three drawings
- juxtaposed sheets of 45 g tracing paper, white india ink
- 66 x 99 cm (each)
- OTHER EXHIBITIONS: “Errático, errante,” Galeria Inox, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Photo: Claudia Tavares (detail) and Wilton Montenegro
2. Splendid cradle | 2004
- embroidery on antique cotton pillowcase
- 60 x 60 x 20 cm
- EXHIBITIONS: “Ao amor do público I – Doações na ArtRio (2012-2015) and Minc/Funarte,” Museu de Arte do Rio – MAR, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil / “Métissages,” Le Radar, Espace d’Art Actuel and Musée Baron Gérard, both in Bayeux, France; Musée de Bourgoin-Jallieu, France; Selasar Sunaryo Art Space, Bandung, Indonesia; Museum Nasional, Jakarta, Indonesia; James H. W. Thompson Center for the Arts, Bangkok, Thailand; Parc Saint Léger, Pougues-les-Eaux, France / “L’autre métissages,” Museo Nacional de Etnografía y Folklore, La Paz, Bolivia
Photo: Kristine Thiemann
3. Memory is the seamstress, and a very fine seamstress at that. Memory makes the needle run in and out, up and down and to and fro. We know not what comes next, what will come later 2007
Using a collection of embroidered initials in cotton, which served to mark who owned a clothing, I developed, together with artisans from Cooparoca, a cooperative of Rocinha [favela], in Rio de Janeiro, this idea of a garment that would have belonged to countless numbers of women.
- initials embroidered on cotton smock
- 150 x 50 cm
- OTHER EXHIBITIONS: “Amor,” Museu Casa de Benjamin Constant, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil / “Retalhar”, Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Photo: Wilton Montenegro
4. Scar | 2005
There was a greal deal of thread leftover in this piece of buckram from my earliest experiments with embroidery. Slowly, the image of a scar that was to mark my childhood emerged from it.
- tarlatan, cotton thread
- 10 x f 60 cm
- OTHER EXHIBITIONS: “Poética têxtil”, Oficina Cultural Oswald de Andrade, São Paulo, Brazil
Fotografia: Kristine Thiemann
5. I am a crystal goblet into the sea (video) | 2009
This vídeo presentes some moments from the breaking a Crystal glass and goblet collection that I amassed over 20 years. Linked to very personal and intimate matters, this act represented a moment of rupture and transformation in my life.
The breaking of the glasses took place during the mounting of the exhibition “Memórias Heterogêneas,” at the Castelinho do Flamengo, Rio de Janeiro, in 2004.
- 10’31” vídeo loop
- EXHIBITIONS: “ObaOba”, Galeria Bangbang, Lisbon, Portugal; Sessão Corredor, Ateliê 397, São Paulo, Brazil / Galerie Caroline Vachet, Lyon, France